4.04.2011

Conference

Conference was so wonderful this weekend. I especially enjoyed Sunday afternoon. It was probably because I was able to actually sit down and listen to the entire session! These two talks really hit me and made me think all day about what was said:

Elder Richard G. Scott - He was so tender and made me cry. It reminded me of the little things Ryan does for me and why I love him so much! It also made me think of what I can do better as a wife and mother. I can't wait to read it again.

Elder Lynn G. Robbins - I needed to hear this talk SO badly. I have been struggling with one of my kids and love what Elder Robbins said. I have also been trying to find a better way in disciplining my kids. A lot of my friends do treasure boxes with toys, but I just really don't want my kids to think they always get a toy for good behaviour. Plus, we have so many little toys I hate having junk around (I usually just end up throwing it away). I really feel like my kids need to learn that it is their responsibility to help pick up and to talk nicely to each other. I am trying to teach them to talk out their problems with each other rather than hitting. I loved how Elder Robbins said we need to discipline with love and gentleness (something I REALLY need to work on, I yell way too much) and make "to be" lists. I loved also how he said we should praise our kids on how hard they worked to get good grades, not just saying, "look how smart you are!" It made me think again about creating healthy habits for my kids. That is what's so hard right now is getting my kids to have healthy habits. I get lazy and tired at the end of the day, but I am learning that it is so important to be constantly teaching them. I am trying really hard to get them in a good routine. We start getting ready for bed around 645. We get jammies on, get chocolate milks and then head upstairs. I make them clean up the playroom and their own room. I put Neal to bed first and then we go snuggle in Cohen's bed. We read scriptures and then Cohen and Andi get to choose another book for me to read to them. Then they brush teeth, we have family prayer and then off to bed. They are usually asleep by 8. It is fabulous. My next goal is getting a good morning routine before Andi starts kindergarten next year!

I am constantly thinking about the talk President Monson gave (I can't remember when he gave it). About Joy in our Journey. I am always trying to finding joy right now and not wishing for my kids to grow up. I know there will be a day when they won't want me to snuggle with them and kiss them constantly. I am taking advantage of it now. I know there are so many things I need to work on, I am so grateful for the wonderful examples I have in my life and that I have the opportunity to listen to our prophet . I now have new goals to work on and I am excited to get started!

No comments: